NYC Scholastic Art & Writing Awards
THE NYC AFFILIATE OF THE SCHOLASTIC ART & WRITING AWARDS
We hope you had a wonderful summer and are ready to be creative! As of September 12, 2019, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are open for submissions! All students who submit to the Awards, regardless of whether or not they receive an award, achieve a remarkable accomplishment by completing their piece and choosing to share it with the world. We can’t wait to see your creations for 2020!
Let’s get ready for 2020!
Important information to know!
- The deadline! NYC submissions are due on Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST. Submit your works early to avoid the stress and complications of waiting until the last minute! Log onto your dashboard today to get started.
- NYC is completely digital! We’re saving paper (and stamp money) this year by moving to completely digital submissions! All submission forms, payments, and fee waivers submitted must be completed digitally via the student or educator dashboard. Mailed-in submission forms, fee waiver forms, and cash or check payments will not be accepted.*
- * The only exception to this policy is for schools/educators covering the submission fees of multiple students. These educators may mail in a single check covering the cost of all submissions. Submission forms for these students must still be submitted via digital upload. Click here for more information on mailing a bulk payment check. Only checks from schools submitted with the required information will be processed. Checks must be received by Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
- Updated Guidelines: There are changes to the submission guidelines for 2020. Students and educators are strongly recommended to read through the category descriptions and submission guidelines before uploading any work. Students are responsible for submitting their work to the proper category and ensuring it adheres to the guidelines. Visit artandwriting.org/categories for more information.
- The submission fee is now $7 for an individual submission, and $25 for a portfolio submission. Students for whom the submission fee poses a barrier to participation are invited and encouraged to complete a fee waiver form in place of the submission fee payment. All fee waiver forms must be submitted by digital upload through the student account.
- National Awards & Scholarship Opportunities: The Scholastic Awards offer additional opportunities for recognition and scholarship through special, sponsored achievement awards. One of these awards, the New York Life Award, offers $1,000 scholarships to six national medalists whose original art or writing explores personal grief, loss, and bereavement. Learn more about the New York Life Award, and other special achievement awards, on artandwriting.org before completing your submission.
Highlights from a fantastically creative 2019!
- 4,500 NYC students across the five boroughs submitted nearly 13,000 creative works!
- NYC teens received nearly 4,000 regional awards at the Honorable Mention, Silver Key, and Gold Key level!
- New York City students earned nearly 160 National Medals for their art and writing submissions!
- Alondra Uribe, a Theater Arts Production Company senior from the Bronx, was named a National Student Poet, the nation’s highest honor for youth poets!
- Divya Mehrish, a senior at the Spence School in Manhattan, won Amtrak’s Train of Thought Essay Contest with her essay, Ready to Soar, that was published in Amtrak’s onboard magazine.
- Grace Goldstein, a senior at Stuyvesant in Manhattan, was named a semi-finalist in Amtrak’s Train of Thought Essay Contest with her essay, Legacy.
How To Get Started!
- Visit artandwriting.org to log in or create your student or educator account.
- All NYC submissions are due by 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
- Follow the instructions in your account to complete your submission.
Questions??? Visit our FAQ page!