Dear Students, Parents and Educators,
You’re invited to the Opening Reception of the Gold Key Art Exhibition at The Met on Friday March 24, 6:00-8:00 pm. The exhibition features Gold Key artwork and writing created by NYC’s most talented teens. All are invited and no RSVP required. Come celebrate the 2017 NYC award recipients and design your own tote bag too!
- Was your 2017 Art submission awarded recognition at the Honorable Mention or Silver Key level? If so, your work will be displayed digitally at the Opening Reception!
- Was your 2017 Writing submission awarded recognition at the Honorable Mention, Silver Key, or Gold Key level? If so, you’re encouraged to enter a lottery to read an excerpt of your work at the Opening Reception. Student readings will be limited to three (3) minutes and the countdown begins after you’re handed the microphone. Interested? Enter the lottery at the opening reception from 6:00-6:25 pm. The Honorable Mention/Silver Key and Gold Key lineups will be announced at 6:45 pm after the Welcome Remarks are concluded. Refer to the program schedule for more details.
- Design Your Own Tote Bag! A free workshop will be offered to all guests.
- Free Admission Ticket! All guests will receive a free ticket to view the rest of the museum’s collections. We hope you check out the galleries after enjoying yourself at the Opening Reception.
Scroll down for more information about the Opening Reception.
Scholastic Art & Writing Awards
New York City Regional Exhibition Opening Reception
Friday, March 24, 2017, 6:00-8:00 pm
Ruth and Harold D. Uris Center for Education
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- View the exhibition of Gold Key works of Art including Film & Animation and Writing from grades 7-12
- Read Gold Key writing from grades 7-12 on iPads in the Exhibition and in bound notebooks in the Nolen Library
- See Middle School, 3D and Oversize Gold Key works on a film reel in the Carson Family Hall
- View a screening of Silver Key and Honorable Mention works of art from grades 7-12 in the Seminar Room
- Meet Pratt Institute in the Carson Family Hall
Welcome Remarks, Carson Family Hall, ground floor
Honorable Mention and Silver Key Student Readings
Honorable Mention and Silver Key recipients read short excerpts from their works (up to 3 minutes) in the Carroll Classroom. Readers selected by lottery. Eligible readers may sign-up for the lottery in the Carroll Classroom, 6:00-6:25 pm.
Gold Key Student Readings
Gold Key recipients read short excerpts (up to 3 minutes) from their works in the Carson Family Hall. Readers will be selected by lottery. Eligible readers may sign-up for the lottery in the Nolen Library, 6:00-6:25 pm.
Make a Tote Bag!
Facilitated by The Met. Get creative by designing your very own tote bag in the Studio. Explore how words can become art by engaging with images of primary works of art from the Museum’s collection to spark tote bag design inspiration!
The Museum is open until 9:00 pm. We hope you will explore and enjoy the galleries!